Thursday, October 22, 2009

Two Letters Today

18 October 09

Hello Everyone!

First off Mom, let everyone now that I have very little time to write letters. I am lucky if I can write one a day. If any. So its going to be unlikely that I can contact anyone but you, so make sure to update the blog frequently. (Got the letter at 7:15 writing at 7:34 is that fast enough? Laurie)

Other than that, things are going well. Who would have guessed, but we're already into week 2. The last 2 days have actually been quite good. Yesterday, we spent the day at Thunderbolt Tower. We did our repelling down a 50 foot wall, which was exciting, although quite cold. Its actually colder here than at home, with the mornings already dipping below freezing. We have some winter gear, but it only goes so far. Today, Sunday, was basically a day off, although not entirely. We got to sleep in to a nice 0530, and spent the rest of the day organizing. They're quite crazy about it, makes Dad look like a slob. I took your advice and went to services, being the only Jew in my 150+ person company, it was nice to see some others. Plus, I got some cookies, soda and coffee. Yes, I know I don't drink coffee, but it was hot and had caffeine, something I needed. I've taken to putting sugar on lots of my food, simply for the extra energy boost. They really don't feed us enough, and unlike "Relaxin Jackson" (Fort Jackson, SC - Laurie), the school of Hard Knox does not have any vending machines. A good thing though, I may be made a squad leader soon. My DS asked me about it and I said I was interested. It would be a good opportunity to work on my leadership and improve there. Until next time, - Corey

Hi Everyone,

So the last few days have been quite a whirlwind. The people I said were lacking in intelligence continue to do so, causing the rest of us to receive much punishment. In fact, last night was almost a very bad thing. After our platoon's continued failures, the DS decided they could no longer have us. We were going to be recycled, which meant all 41 of us were to return to reception, get put in another company, and be returned to day zero. After packing all our stuff, the DS chose around 10 people who were "squared away," who would stay in Delta company and be put into another platoon. I, thankfully, was one of them. Although in the morning we were all allowed to stay.

Today we had some team building stuff that went well, and we're starting to come together. I am trying to take on somewhat of a leadership role, and it's going well. My feet are killing me from breaking in 3 pairs of boots, my legs are shot, and all I want is a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and a coke. Other than that, I'm doing pretty well, tell everyone to write!
- Corey

P.S. When you reply, put a big "3" on the back of the envelope. Pass that on...

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing laurie! what's the 3 all about on the back of the envelope? any idea? i just sent my letter off today - obviously without the 3 since i didn't know. :( glad to see he is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is in the third platoon so I'm guessing the 3 on the back helps with sorting the mail and perhaps getting it to him sooner?

    ReplyDelete