Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sharpshooter

17 Nov 09

Hey Everybody,

So today was BRM-13, rifle qualification day. Before I tell you how I did, I'll let you know just how it works. There are 7 targets, 50m (right & left), 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m, and 300m. These are pop-up targets that stay up for times between 3-8 seconds. Sometimes there are two at a time. We shoot from 3 positions. Prone supported, lying down with sandbags for support (I fake this one because I shoot better unsupported), prone unsupported which has no sandbags, and kneeling. Supported we have 20 rounds, 10 unsupported and 10 kneeling. There are three different levels you can qualify at, each with a different badge to wear on class A's (that's the green dress uniforms - Laurie). Marksman (23-29 hits), Sharpshooter (30-35) and expert (36-40). The weather today was miserable, cold and rainy all day which made shooting tough, especially for the guys with glasses. I did well, 34/40 - sharpshooter. Sadly, I could have gotten expert but I missed a few fairly easy shots. I can't blame it on the weather, but it could have helped. Who knows, I think I get a re-qual at AIT (advanced individual training, Corey's medic training - Laurie) but probably with an M-4 (smaller, lighter, slightly less accurate rifle). That's about it for now, I'll write again soon.

~Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment